Friday 9 March 2007

Cumbria and Scotland

The petition is entitled Make Cumbria part of Scotland and the explanatory notes say
"So Scotland has direct control of Cumbria, Southern England does nothing for us"

I see the temptation. Truly I do. Goodness knows I know the feeling that the media is all London-centric and that we have far more in common, up here, with the Scots than the Londoners. And when one looks at the changes the Scottish Parliament have implemented (one thinks about student funding in particular) it has great appeal. Oh - I'm not in Cumbria, of course. But I don't think they're any different on that side of the country ...

Anyway. Lovely idea. Don't know if the Scots would want us, but it has lots of appeal. But it's never going to happen and it seems a little silly to waste time asking for it.

No comments: