Tuesday 13 March 2007

Education in Crime Prevention

The petition is entitled Make mandatory educational a component of sentencing and the explanatory notes say
"In order to tackle the number of people who become involved in repeat offending due to their poor literacy and numeracy preventing them from finding employment, the government should make attaining B at GCSE Math and English (+ 1 practical subject) a precondition for release from prison for repeat offenders."

I shouldn't mock this perfectly reasonable suggestion, I really shouldn't.

But there's something terribly ironic about someone suggesting poor literacy is a problem and therefore requesting "mandatory educational" and that people study "Math". It's unbelievably cruel of me to mock. But I'm afraid it made me laugh.

People really, really should proof-read ...

No comments: