Friday 9 March 2007

Alcohol Purchase Age

The petition is entitled lower the age at which one can legally purchase alcohol and there are no explanatory notes.

Which makes me think the petitioner probably isn't old enough to buy alcohol himself and would rather like to. Of course, he can't even vote yet, so there's no point in lobbying, either.

(On a personal note, because this made me think of it, and it makes me laugh - back in May 1997, I was still 17. Very frustrating; most of my friends were old enough to vote and didn't really care, while I really did want rid of the Tories (oh, that I'd known then what was going to happen!), and I couldn't! Anyway, the evening after the results were announced I was in the pub with a load of friends, one of whom cheerfully asked me how I'd voted. Honestly! I was sitting there with a pint in front of me! He knew damn well - but had forgotten - how old I was! What a tactless question ..!)

No comments: