Sunday 11 March 2007

Motorway Lighting Again

The petition is entitled switch off lighting on motorways and main arterial routes and the explanatory notes say
"in France the motorways are unlit they do not have more accidents just less light polution and usage on the national grid thus saving energy and tax payers money while reducing light polution"

Fascinating petition - I thoroughly agree with it. Distinct contrast (and this is the only reason it's actually fascinating) to the petition I talked about in Motorway Lighting which demands more motorway lighting.

Now, it's true that my mother, whose night-sight isn't good, does try to time the drive home (to Gloucestershire) South from here (Co. Durham) so that, if at all possible, the only bit she does in the dark is the bit past Birmingham, where the motorway's lit up. But I'm fairly sure that's as much to do with familiarity as lighting (rats, why didn't I ask her on the phone earlier?)

At any event, I agree with the sentiment and mostly am only posting about it to highlight the interesting contrast.

No comments: