Thursday 8 March 2007

Homophobia

The petition is entitled Crack down on homophobia and the explanatory notes say
"One in Three men are gay. You do not choose your sexuality, You are born the way you are. Homophobia needs to be taken seriously. Racism has been cracked down on in the last 10 years to such an extent that it is no longer "baa baa black sheep" we sing of. When will homophobia get cracked down on? Gay, Bi, Lesbian and Transgender people need more rights. Far more rights than they are getting. Homosexuals are not vermin, Homosexuals are Human thus should be treated this way. Homophobia in school should be clamped down on and homosexuality should be adressed more in schools. We live in 2007 not 1807."

Homophobia is one of my big bug-bears; I loathe it. Bias against transgender people incenses me even more; I get quite incoherent with rage on occasion.

But. Since when were one in three men gay? I don't think there are any reliable figures suggesting a proportion anything like this high. Kinsey's report in 1948 found that 37% of males had had some sexual experience with other men, but that's the nearest I can find to any such figure. I don't believe it's that high. Which is unfortunate; excessive polemic like this will damage the petitioner's cause.

I don't believe the "Baa Baa Black Sheep" story either - in 2000 the BBC reported a story that Birmingham City Council had scrapped advice not to sing it, because black parents said such a ban was nonsensical. The whole thing was originally, I believe (though I can't now find the article saying so) a joke, a satire, that someone accidentally took seriously. So more excessive and inaccurate polemic here.

While I take exception to the spelling, the grammar and most especially the capitalisation in the rest of the petition, I do agree with the spirit and sentiment, most heartily. (Admittedly in 1807 there was no homophobia in the sense of objection to those self-identifying as homosexual, because self-identifying as homosexual was not yet a meaningful concept ... but anyway.)

Good sentiment; pity about the framing thereof.

No comments: