Thursday 8 March 2007

Cigarette Sales

The petition is entitled forbid the display of cigarettes to minors within all retail outlets and the explanatory notes say
"Why is something so damaging to health put on display in retail outlets where they cannot be ignored. Behind the till is too prominent a position for such items."

So where would you put them? Hidden under the counter, so a person has to surreptitiously whisper to the cashier "Twenty Benson & Hedges" and then (if they've chosen an obscure brand) explain which ones they want ... Seems to me half the time I get my shopping at the kiosk (the queue's usually short, so I often go through that way) I'm stuck behind someone who has trouble getting the right cigarettes or tobacco, even though they can point to them. How much worse would it be if they were hidden? Not to mention the difficulty of creating a kiosk thing that could have them all hidden ...

Anyway, kids know what cigarettes are, and even the absence of advertising isn't going to stop that from being the case. Being able to see them really can't be doing any harm. (I don't think.)

No comments: