Wednesday 28 February 2007

Tax Rebate on Private Education

The petition is entitled Offer tax relief for people who opt to send their children to private/independant schools and the explanatory notes say
"We would like to ask that some recognition be given by means of tax relief is given to those people who opt to send their children to private or independant schools. these parents help the government by easing the burden on states schools and their resources, and some recognition should be shown for this to help pay for their education. after all they pay all their taxes to the government and get less back in services."

I don't have children, so I'm not getting the benefit of my taxes in the form of education for them - should I also have a rebate? I go to a private dentist so I'm not benefitting from my taxes in terms of NHS dentistry - I need a rebate for that, too, obviously.

No. No, and no, and a thousand times no. Your taxes aren't paying for your children to be educated, they are paying for the education of all the children in your society. It's your contribution to your community.

Incidentally, I do hope that the petitioner's parents didn't spend excessive amounts on getting him educated - his grammar is shocking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get labour out!!! If they had not closed all the grammer schools parents would not have to send their children to private school. My child goes to private school, I'm not rich or well off by any means but private education is the only way to get a good education (and to avoid getting stabbed!!!)Also..... I WANT MY TAX BACK! You don't have kids, thats your choice. You're paying once, I'm paying twice!!! You need to look at your little rant. My guess is you are a classic leftie and have a big gripe about private education.