Wednesday 28 February 2007

OBE for My Wife!

The petition is entitled nominate Mrs Margaret Angela Owen for the OBE and the explanatory notes say
"My wife, Margaret Angela Owen, retired last year after having served Manchester Education Committee for more than 40 years as a classroom teacher. Her most recent headteacher (at King David Junior School, Manchester) would confirm that Margaret was a very able teacher and her students would agree also, I'm sure. Personally, although I might be slightly biased, I believe her to be patently outstanding and highly intelligent and always gave of her not inconsiderable best to the children. This great career, undisturbed by any desire to become a school head, deserves more than just a "Thank You" and I would urge you to grant this petition - honour her, please!"

I'm choking with laughter over this but can find very little to actually say about it. I have no reason, of course, to think that Mrs Owen was not a very able teacher and much appreciated by her pupils, but the same is true of many teachers who aren't awarded the OBE. And particularly without their spouses feeling the need to petition the PM to honour them!

1 comment:

uber said...

Genius!

I imagine a petition to provide me with an independent income that would finance the lifestyle and wardrobe of the average second rate footballer's wife would meet with similar success.