Tuesday 27 February 2007

Charitable TV Ads

The petition is entitled Control charities on TV Commercials and the explanatory notes say
"We are sick of have our homes intruded by Charities seeking funding on TV. We do not want it stopped fully but it needs to be controlled and the more graphic ones need more control to stop distress to those viewing TV."

Now, I have to admit that I don't watch TV. Haven't seen any of these "distressing" adverts. Have, in fact, no idea what the petitioner's on about.

But I'm moderately certain he's completely bonkers. There is a TV in one of the bars I visit regularly and from time to time it's on a channel with ads, so I'm not completely in the dark. I've never noticed an advert for a charity. Certainly not a "distressing" one. I assume it's something like the "shocking" adverts one sees on billboards and stuff - either the NSPCC "Full Stop" or the domestic violence campaigns that have been going on. Or any number of other ads-intended-to-shock. Generally speaking, in my opinion, the charity/public information adverts that are intending to shock bloody well ought to be, because they're about shocking things that people don't think about, or brush under the carpet. (Drink driving; AIDS; domestic violence; etc., etc.)

And if you have a complaint - that's what theAdvertising Standards Agency are for.

No comments: