Monday 26 February 2007

Money to Africa "and other countries"

The petition is entitled Stop giving our money to Africa and all the other countries and the explanatory notes say
"We are being robbed. All our past and present governments keep giving the peoples money away to all these countries who haven't progressed at all. They still sit on their haunches and breed.Why shouldn't they when we keep giving them more money. Yet we the British tax payer are having all our services quashed.Health,Education and the State pension etc. Although there is still enough money for the MP's to have their pensions.But we the working people pay more taxes there are new ones every year."

I suppose, before I mock this petition, I should try to find out exactly what proportion of "the peoples [sic] money" is being given to "all these countries who haven't progressed at all". I have this feeling it's not much, but to be fair, I don't actually know. I'd look it up, if I could think where or how. I've found a BBC article about Aid to Africa which says the UN's had a target, for the last 35 years, of 0.7% of national income should be given as aid - not that it's clear who this 0.7% should be spread between. And there's a pop-up thingummy from that article saying that the UK gave US$7.84 billion in 2004, which was 0.37% of GDP, and that this aid is mostly to Africa but also to Latin America, Asia and Eastern Europe.

0.37% of GDP. About half of what the UN recommends. And you're complaining about this amount being too high?!

No comments: