Friday 23 February 2007

Referendum

The petition is entitled Call a Referendum on petitions with over 75,000 signatures and the explanatory notes read
As the policies of the 2 major parties continue to mirror each other, we are left with little choice every election.

If a petition raises enough votes it should be put to a public vote and then implemented by our politicians.

Lets have multiple democractic votes rather then 1 vote for bundles of the same policies.

This is an astonishingly appealing proposal. I know it's my students' union background speaking that makes this feel like a fantastic idea. I know there are all sorts of flaws. But, in principle, it Feels Good. Not, admittedly, the 75k, per se. That is, after all, only about 0.125% of the UK's population, so doesn't seem enough, to me. There's only one petition above that level on the site as I write this (it's about inheritance tax), but referenda are expensive and complicated and I'd want them to be more unlikely. Then there's the fact that most of the petitions are worded so badly that making a referendum of them would be impossible - though, of course, the badly worded ones are less likely to get many votes.

Still, this idea appeals to me. I'm not signing it, not yet, but I'm flagging it for me to think about. (It's got a year to run. I've got time to think.)

(I'm tagging it "sensible". Perhaps I should be tagging it "mad but appealing", but until and unless more such petitions show up, "sensible" will do ...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally... something worth reading. Thanks for at least qualifying your too many words with the idea that it should be considered. Gave yourself time, but blogged too fast. Cheers.