Tuesday 27 February 2007

Local Election Voting Slips

The petition is entitled Remove which party a candidate represents from voting slips in local elections and the explanatory notes say
"This would lead to people having to vote for those people with the best local policies, encourage candidates to actually interact with local people, and prevent incompetent local candidates from gaining power purely on the basis of party backing."

So here I am, a simpering idiot who wants to vote for my local candidate from the simpering idiot party, and I get my ballot paper and - oh no! The parties aren't on there! What am I going to do? Am I going to vote for the person with the best policies? How can I? I don't have their manifestoes with me, presumably - if I did, I'd know who belonged to which party.

People who care are going to go into the voting booth already knowing who they want to vote for, but then, they do already. All you're going to discourage are a few idiots. Which, OK, sounds nice in a way - but it means even lower participation, and I can't honestly think that that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've now wasted an hour reading numerous blogs you have written in the last two months. You undoubtedly were raised here in England, and are undoubtedly young, based on the factors that you believe that just because you are "entitled to an opinion" that your opinion is valuable. It is most often, in most cases I read, not. Just asking questions, or expressing skepticism, is a curious exercise in self-psychotherapy but it is not by itself of value to others. Please spend more time evaluating each issue on the basis of what it may mean to society, not you. That you put words behind your opinions does not garner respect for you... nor does it enhance anything except your own listings. Please think twice. In Frank Herbert's Dune an important principle was to "speak only the deepest truth you can sense". Please. Thanks. Anonymous only because I like most others have litle time and now I won't waste further time reading your rantings. But good luck anyway. Cheers, a real person