Tuesday 27 February 2007

Daytime Roadworks

The petition is entitled Ban any roadworks taking place between the hours of 6am and 8pm in England and the explanatory notes say
"During the day there is obviously a lot of cars on the road. So why do we have roadworks in the daytime when they could easily do it during the night ? It would put an end to 80% of traffic jams."

The first problem I see with this is the noise. Lots of roadworks are noisy things. I'd be very pissed off if some silly sod decided to do roadworks outside my house in the night because of traffic jams. (As it happens, the house next door is having work done on it. Specifically, the room next to mine. The wall the rooms share is being drilled into. Now, yes, I should get up before they start at 9am, then it wouldn't be a problem. But I work well at night, which means sleeping in the morning. It sounds like someone's drilling in my room. Which wakes me up and scares me.

Secondly: the expense. You're going to have to pay your road-workers extra (I bloody hope you are, anyway) for working at night. And lighting the works is going to be expensive, both in capital expenditure to get the lighting and in electricity to run them. So it's going to be expensive. Doesn't sound good.

And thirdly and tangentially - why England? I mean, why only England? I've been caught in roadworks in Scotland and Wales, too. (Terrifying, on a narrow Scottish road where there's bogs to the left and roadworks to the right and it feels as if the available road's about 2mm wider than the car. Eeek!)

Finally - 80% of traffic jams? Really? I don't feel as if it's that high, myself. So many jams are caused by accidents and things, or just by sheer mass-of-traffic.

No comments: