Friday 23 February 2007

Sex Offenders' Registers

The petition is entitled Make for public viewing the names and addresses of all convicted sex offenders and the explanatory text reads
"Follow the example set in the U.S and make available for public viewing the name and address of all convicted and released sex offenders.

This petition clearly falls into the Green Ink Brigade on its spelling and in-depth knowledge of US law.

At this stage I'm not going to go into details about why I think this is a particularly bad idea; that's not the point of the blog. Most of my objections are covered by the Wikipedia page about Megan's Law and those that aren't presently I'll probably add shortly, since I've just discovered their lack.

This is a very serious and highly emotive subject and I've had some fairly substantial abuse hurled at me in the past for my opinions. I sha'n't respond to any that comes up this time; express your objections civilly by all means and I'll be happy to debate.

No comments: