Tuesday 27 February 2007

Common Sense

This petition is entitled create a 'common sense' law, which overrides all other laws and the explanatory notes say
"We live in a society where people will sue anyone over anything.

I propose a common sense law. This law will override all other laws.

eg. If someone is breaking in to your house, and should suffer an injury, they should not be able to sue you. Common sense.

If you're stopped at a red light, and an ambulance/police car/fire engine comes up behind you, sirens and lights on, you should not be fined for moving through the red light so that they can pass you. (Common sense would also dictate that you make sure it is safe to move through the red light.)

I love this idea. It feels like such a great idea.

Only what's common sense, exactly? One man's pearl is another man's poison, and what I think is common sense someone else calls loony leftism and what they think is common sense I call raving Toryism.

It's a marvellously appealing idea, though.

2 comments:

cim said...

So it's essentially saying "We'd like to be able to ignore all rules, when it's the right thing to do." I'd suggest that the petition writer spends some time reading Wikipedia flamewars to get an idea of how well that idea works...

Jenny said...

Ach, cim, you're so right! I knew I knew of a counter-example but couldn't think what it was ... And yet, only yesterday I was having kittens laughing at Wikipedia's Lamest Edit Wars. The great thing about mad people is they give me such a laugh ..!