Wednesday 21 February 2007

Cremations Petition

The petition is entitled Ban Cremations with immediate effect, this will cut pollution and save the dying Planet, and the explanatory notes say
"Burning bodies each day produces tons of C02, which is causing Global Warming. If The Government banned cremations, this would go an awfully long way to save planet Earth."


I suppose it might be true. I honestly have no idea how much CO2 cremations cause. On the other hand, I do know that graveyards are fuller than full, and filthy expensive as a consequence. And while, no, I don't know how much CO2 a cremation gives off, I don't, actually, believe for a moment it's significant. Wikipedia says that emissions are "comparatively small on an international scale" but still statistically significant. But that's emissions of "nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, particulate matter, mercury, hydrogen fluoride (HF), hydrogen chloride (HCl), NMVOCs, and other heavy metals, in addition to Persistent Organic Pollutants (POP)." Not CO2.

Which makes me smack this petition straight into Green Ink territory.

No comments: