Friday 2 March 2007

Public Transport Pricing

The petition is entitled stop putting public transport prices up whilst encouraging people to use public transport and the explanatory notes say
"the cost of a return tube fare into zone 1 is the same as the congestion charge. why should we use the tube if this is the case? Why should we have to use Oyster cards which track our journeys and are another step on the road to a surveillance state?"

I opened this because it seemed like a jolly sensible petition - there is something truly horrific about the fact that it's often cheaper for me to hire a car to travel from A to B than to get the train.

Then I saw the explanatory notes and saw red. It's not really the petitioner's fault - they're clearly a Londoner, so being London-centric isn't offensive (the way it is when, say, there's 2mm of snow in London and the media says "England" has ground to a halt). But still, it makes me twitch a bit.

I've signed it anyway, though.

No comments: