Saturday 3 March 2007

Adverts on Satellite and Cable TV

The petition is entitled ban adverts on pay per view satelite/cable TV and the explanatory notes say
"If i pay to watch football on satelite/cable TV i believe i should not be subjected to adverts"

Now tell me, pray, why the Government should have this sort of power over commercial TV? I don't have a problem with a legal watershed (well, I don't think I do ... actually, in principle I'm not even sure about that, but never mind), and certainly I don't have a problem with the government restricting toe content of adverts.

But services you pay for are a contract between you and the supplier; assuming the supplier haven't hidden the fact that there are going to be adverts, I see no reason why the government should interfere. If you don't want the ads, don't subscribe to the service. Negotiate a (doubtless more expensive) service without them. Or something.

No comments: